Sunday, January 11, 2009

French Onion Soup .

Yesterday I got the cell phone replaced. The corporate store was a more pleasant place than it normally is. I am big supporter of women, but I wonder if there isn't some friction there between the guys who work there and the women, or one of the women. The young man who helped me had to call for approval to give me a new phone instead of a reconditioned one and when he was on the phone with the override manager he mentioned that it was an unusually pleasant day and rare because the store was staffed entirely by guys. He was able to retrieve the phone contacts from my old phone, but the calendar with all my appointments was lost. So I have to make a few phone calls Monday to reconstruct my calendar. I came home and intended to start a load of laundry and the washer is not working! How much more? Hey, I have some very good recipes that don't cost much, so as I go onto austerity living to pay for all the repairs, I expect I'll be using them.

4 cups sliced onions
4 cans beef broth or bullion
1/2 cups unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons red wine (optional)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 loaf French bread, sliced
sliced provolone cheese
3/4 cup diced Swiss cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Melt butter in an 8 quart stock pot on medium heat. Add olive oil and stir. Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent. Do not brown the onions.
Add beef stock, wine and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Ladle soup into individual, oven safe, serving bowls. Place one slice of bread on top. Layer cheese on top of bread, placing a slice of provolone, 1/2 slice diced Swiss and then Parmesan cheese.
Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil until cheese bubbles and browns slightly.

No comments: