Thursday, January 22, 2009

Broccoli Salad .

I had some good broccoli salad and asked for the recipe. It wasn't given to me, so I played with the ingredients until I came up with one I like. Here it is.

1 large broccoli crown
1 bag broccoli slaw
1/2 red onion, chopped
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 cup raisins
½ c nuts (pine nuts, sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts or a combination)
1 cup Mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons vinegar
6 Tablespoons Splenda (or sugar if the calories don’t matter)


OPTIONAL
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can water chestnuts, drained and cut chopped
1 1/2 cup green grapes, halved
1 cup chopped celery

Fry bacon until crisp. Chop.
Separate broccoli crown into flowerets. Chop the broccoli slaw a bit.
Mix broccoli, onion, bacon, raisins and nuts. Add from the optional ingredients, if desired.
In a separate bowl, make dressing by mixing mayonnaise, vinegar and Splenda. Add desired optional ingredients—I use red grapes if I have them.
Pour dressing over broccoli mix.
Chill for 1 hour.

No comments: