Sunday, June 7, 2009

Cream peas .

I hated green peas when I was a kid and I especially hated cream peas. Peas are still not my favorite vegetable, but you wouldn't think so if you could watch me at the salad bar. I can skip the tomatoes, although in the summer the fresh tomatoes are specia., but I love those umcooked thawed peas that pop when you bite into them. I sprinkle them over everything else and then grate an incredible of fresh black pepper over that. Yum.

Oh, the creaming of the yukky veg. This is pretty good. I especially like it because it doesn't begin with instructions to cook the peas to mush...

2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
2/3 cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon white sugar

In a medium sauce pan, combine peas, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then stir in butter.
In a small bowl, whisk together cream, flour, amd sugar. Stir mixture into peas. Cook over medium high heat until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes.

No comments: