Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sarah's Mac and Cheese

When my life gets really hectic, opening the fridge and discovering someone has left a big ol' pan of mac and cheese in there for me would make me smile. I hope it does the same for my daughter. I used her recipe so it would be what her family likes.

5 cups fresh grated cheddar
16 oz. Elbow macaroni
4 T. butter
4 T. flour
4 cups 2% milk
1 T. onion powder
4 bay leaves
½ t. paprika
black pepper

Grate 5 cups cheddar.

Boil water and cook 16 oz pasta just until tender.

In pan, melt 4 T butter, wisk in 4 T flour, 4 c milk, 1T onion powder, 4 bay leaves, ½ t paprika, and sprinkle in some black pepper.

Add ½ the cheddar, then mix in drained pasta.

Put half the pasta mix in a buttered 9x12 pan, cover with ½ the remaining cheddar, then cover with the remaining pasta mix, then the remaining cheddar.

Broil to brown top.

If made in advance, bake at 350F for approximately 30 minutes.

No comments: