Sunday, January 3, 2010

Peanut Butter Pie
I have to admit I haven't made this one. It's un-American, I know, but I don't like peanut butter—love peanuts, just can't eat peanut butter. I don't like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, PB&J sandwiches, and I don't put peanut butter and Karo syrup on my waffles (an East Texas thing). But I was talking with some co-workers about PB Pie and was informed that it is next to heaven. I'll take their word for it. So, here, untested, is PB Pie.

Filling ingredients:
2 egg yolks, beaten slightly
1 1/2 cups of milk
3/4 cups of sugar
5 tablespoons of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
¾ cup of peanut butter, unsweetened
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Meringue ingredients:
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons of sugar

Your favorite pie crust.

Poke holes in your pie crust with a fork and bake it at 350 until it’s brown, about 20 minutes.

In a pot, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, flour and salt. Cook on medium heat until it bubbles and thickens, about five to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, cayenne and peanut butter.

Beat your egg whites with salt and when they start to get fluffy add the sugar. Pour the peanut butter custard into the baked pie shell and top with the beaten egg whites. Bake pie until peaks on the meringue are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

You can use smooth or chunky peanut butter. If you use sweetened peanut butter, you may want to cut down on the sugar.

Serve with one of the following:
a sprinkling of peanuts
a dusting of cocoa powder
a dollop of whipped cream

Maybe some day I'll try this pie by mistake or out of politeness and discover I love it. Until then...I hope you enjoy.

No comments: